As I get older, hair care has become more of a priority in my beauty routine. Previously, I never put any thought or care into it. I used drug store shampoos with sulfates, and always wondered why my hair would look and feel like a rats nest.
If you know me, I’ve never had long hair. I always went with a bob, or an above the shoulder cut. I decided that I wanted to let my hair grow, and see how long it could get before it got on my nerves. I have been growing it out for over a year and it has gotten pretty long. I haven’t had the urge to cut it… yet.
During this time, it has been crucial to find good products to protect and manage my hair. I needed a shampoo and conditioner that didn’t make my greasy/prone to knots. A good hairspray to hold my longer and heavier curls. A heat protectant. Etc.
Here are some of my favorite hair products. I have linked all products below (click on the names). If you haven’t realized it by now, amika is my favorite brand. The products have a universal, signature scent.. and they are just the bomb. Not to mention, the packaging is really easy on the eyes.
1) amika: bust your brass Shampoo - This is your ultimate purple shampoo. Purple shampoo helps to keep blonde hair cool, removing brassy tones. I use this to maintain my balayage.
2) amika: the kure Shampoo - This is reparative shampoo that is formulated with wheat protein/keratin to help restore and strengthen damaged hair. I use this shampoo the day after I put any type of heat on my hair.
3) amika: normcore Shampoo - Amika’s signature, everyday shampoo. Has a myriad of vitamins and antioxidants to keep your hair shiny, smooth and hydrated.
4) amika: the kure Conditioner - Same function as the shampoo listed above (#2). I use this occasionally, to keep my hair smooth and easy to manage.
5) amika: perk up Dry Shampoo - The best dry shampoo. Talc free, no white residue left behind, and a super absorbing formula.
6) amika: un.done Volume and Matte Texture Spray - This stuff is my favorite. The spray adds texture and volume to my hair, while still allowing for manageability. If my hair is limp or a needs a little texture to hold my pony, this is my go-to spray. Also great for a tousled look.
7) Kenra: Volume Spray 25 - The best hairspray. Shout out to my best friend for introducing me to this product. It is affordable, and will last you a while. I have tried so many sprays that either make my hair “crunchy,” won’t hold a curl, and won’t allow me to brush out my curls. This spray is great. They make various holds, but 25 works great for me.
8) Briogeo: Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask - Let me preface this by noting I have always shied away from products like this given my fine hair. The slightest amount of conditioner used to make my hair greasy/heavy. I use this product once a week, and it is AMAZING. Balayage can dry my hair out, and this gives me a really fabulous deep condition following a long week of drying my hair/using an iron.
9) IGK: Preparty Hair Strobing Glitter Spray - If you know me, you know I live for glitter and sparkle. This is a mature, tasteful silver glitter hairspray. They have a colorful version as well.
10) amika: brooklyn bombshell Blowout Spray - The best heat protectant spray. I towel dry my hair, spritz this baby, and boom! My hair is ready to be dried and styled.
11) Sugarbearhair Hair Vitamins - This is not a gimmick. These gummies are amazing. My hair/nails have grown so much faster after taking two of these a day. They taste amazing and are now sold at ULTA. They are vegetarian, dairy, gelatin and gluten free. These are jam packed with vitamins. You are not only getting biotin, you are getting folic acid, vitamin A, C, D, E, B-6, etc.
What are your favorite products??